Wednesday 14 September 2011

Lumpy Pete takes watch... and I consult with a spirit

Today I sent Lumpy Pete to follow Rebekah as she went about her business, hawking her pretty nonsense rhymes around East Acton. "Now remember, you fool,'" I warned him tenderly. "Don't get up too close, hoping to grab a stare at those ginger bubbies." He glanced away shame-faced, clearly having planned a little tit-watching.

He was to keep me informed of developments via a wireless telegraph device which I have recently developed. Instead of using Edison's patented electrostatic coupling system (dreary!), my device propels lines of "voice information" by pressurising and de-pressuring shafts of air betwixt stations. It was, in part, modelled upon the spinnerets of the common house spider, although with entirely different useage.

But enough of my genius! Once Lumpy had left, I consulted with my poor dead wife :;.^., the ghose who's appearance had tipped me off about Rebekah's strange behaviour. We held conference in the complex language of clicks and whistles spoken by her people, the %¬¬ tribe, all long dead now following a civil war caused by... ah well, that's another story. I asked her for some explanation of this mystery.

"$()()()£ %%$%%$  "!??@$@$%," she suggested. I was shocked at her remonstrations, as you can imagine.
"&&*&&&&£:@@:," I responded with heartfelt passion.
"::$::%:$$:::<>>><££"$$£"""$$$$$$," she explained further. I could hardly beleive my ears! If this was true, then... just as we were beginning to make progress on the case, the receiving station of my aero-modulator began to squark.

"Augustus!" called in Lumpy pete. "I'm following her now, she's taken a Hansom! She appears to be heading North... "
"Keep on her trail you dankish clot-pole!" I told him warmly. "Lose her and you're back out on the street, digging up street-grubs for tiffin."
"Right you are Augustus!" he barked, and I heard the cobbled streets gather pace beneath his trusted steed, Daphne.

It was then that a puff of purple air emanated from the aero-modulator and the device ceased to work. Damn the machine - I should have stuck with electrostatic coupling after all! Lumpy has been gone now some six hours, I wonder what fate has befallen my gentle colleague?

No comments:

Post a Comment